Friday, December 02, 2011

Author Spotlight - Adam Graham

Please enjoy my Q & A with author Adam Graham!!!

How long have you been writing?


Since I was eight, almost nine years old. Before the San Francisco Earthquake, I was writing Batman-Superman Fanfiction.

Do you find a part of your personality sneaking into any of your characters?

Here and there, probably the clown and sarcastic tendencies are the ones most likely to appear.

Were there any scenes you found difficult to write? Made you angry or made you cry?

I’m working on a Short Story that’s trying to become a novelette and the final confrontation scene was very tough. The story deals with child abuse and I kept wanting to handle the whole thing more clinically. What we finally ended up writing after much coaxing from my wife, was something that packs more of a punch, and did make me cry writing it.

Tell us a little about yourself. What do you like to do when you are not writing? What is your temperament, etc.?

I love old time radio and radio drama in general. Spend a lot of time listening to that and producing podcasts on old time radio.

When creating a character, where do you begin? Do you give them a background even if it may never be mentioned in the storyline?

I really try to get to know the character organically, through telling the story and listening to them. I tried once writing down all the details and I never got through all the details and never wrote the story.

Can you share one or two nuggets of wisdom to those wanting to travel down the writing road?

In modern writing, there are two types of rules: 1) rules that are absolute and hard and fast and 2) things that are a matter of opinion and style but get stated as rules. A good writer has to be able to tell the difference.

Where can readers find your books and contact information?

http://www.dimknight.com

1 comment:

Frank Creed said...

Adam--
When one writes an emotional scene one does hope that the reader will experience the same thing. It's great to get feedback about funny parts being funny/ sad parts being sad.